Cannon #203 is presently located on Calvary hill, Arima, the highest area within the Borough and is called Calvary Hill View Park above Holy Cross College.
It overlooks the town of Arima. Its original location was at the top of Hosein St (Queen St extension) until for a period it was moved to the back of the old grandstand in Princess Royal Park in an area lovingly known as The Greens.
It was returned to Calvary Hill in its present location in 1994.
The inscription reads: BLOMFELD LIGHT BRASS SIX POUNDER
This type of gun was introduced in 1787 and was manufactured until 1860. Approximately 2000 were produced.
This gun, No. 203, was cast at the Royal Brass Foundry, Woolwich in 1794 by foreman and assistant foreman, John and Henry King.
The gun was proven on 1st August 1794
The Cannon was sent to the West Indies in 1795 and arrived in Trinidad around 1797.
It was relocated to Calvary Hill, Arima, on 11 August, 1994 by Councillor Melan Garcia.
This plaque was unveiled by His Worship The Mayor of Arima, Councillor Elvin Edwards and His Excellency Mr. Gregory Faulkner, British High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago, on 29 March, 1997 to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of British Association with Trinidad.
The cannon was used by the First Peoples to summon members for a gathering. The custom continues today but fireworks is used because the cannon has been sealed.
The inscription reads “Honi soit qui mal y pense” translated to mean “May he be shamed who thinks badly of it”. Something about the Order of the Garter formed by King Edward III.
King Edward III was dancing with Joan of Kent, his first cousin and daughter-in-law. Her garter slipped down to her ankle causing those around her to snigger at her humiliation. Edward placed the garter around his own leg saying, “Honi soit qui mal y pense. Tel qui s’en rit aujourd’hui, s’honorera de la porter.” (“A scoundrel, who thinks badly by it. Those who laugh at this today, tomorrow will be proud to wear it.”)
This inscription is also on the Royal Coat of Arms.
The following picture of his mom (teacher Pamela Wright-Smith) was posted by Gerard Gordon on the Facebook page Arima Borough Council Community.
Windsor’s movie poster board is behind her head and the cinema is to the left. The cannon was outside the wall of the grand stand, which has been replaced by the basketball court and bleachers.
The house on the right in the background is where I grew up to about age 14 said Gemma Mills. Scotia bank is there now. Windsor cinema was on the left. The Beckles home would have been lower down left at the corner of Woodford and Hollis Avenue.
At the back of the photographer would have been the summer hut. There was also a balata tree.